We currently live in Bloomington, Indiana, and moved here in August 2013 for Eric to pursue his Ph.D at Indiana University (we're Midwest kids at heart; I'm originally from Indiana and he's from Ohio), and we've also lived in Maryland/DC, North Carolina, and California. Our move most recently brings us from living near Washington, DC, for two years while I pursued my Master's degree. (I have an MS in Information Systems from the George Washington School of Business, a BA in Computer Science from DePauw University, and an Academic Honors high school diploma from Columbus East High School. Currently, I'm an Instructor of Computer Science at my alma mater, DePauw University!)
The things I write about here are the adventures we've been on since I started writing. I have been to many other places and done many more things not listed on the "Adventures" page, and I will be continuing to go back in time to fill in the gaps. Until then, let me know if you have any questions about somewhere you're about to travel to (see where all I've been below) and maybe I can help!
Find me on Twitter @milyusha or Instagram at milyushas
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
US States Visited (41 + DC): Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
US States Left to Go (9): Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Oregon, Vermont, Washington
Other Countries Visited (9): Austria, the Bahamas, Canada, Czech Republic, England, Germany, Ireland, Russia, Scotland
Other Countries on Top of my List: Switzerland, France, Belgium, Wales, Italy, Spain, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, the Netherlands
Places Lived (4 states, 8 cities): Indiana (Indianapolis, Columbus, Greencastle, Bloomington), California (El Segundo), North Carolina (Boone, Chapel Hill), Maryland (Silver Spring/Burtonsville)
Sports Teams I Root For: Indianapolis Colts, Cincinnati Reds, Indiana Hoosiers, DePauw Tigers, Kentucky Wildcats, Indiana Pacers, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Tar Heels, Butler Bulldogs
Sports I Watch: Baseball, college basketball, pro football, college football, some pro soccer, some pro basketball, Olympics when available
Other Interests Besides Sports: Lighthouses, craft beer, photography, the ocean and beach, data, teaching, reading, antiques, crafting, cooking, decorating, old-fashioned soda fountains, chocolate, being outside, taking walks, singing, clocks, trains
Things With Which I Have Been Interested in the Past & May Be Again in the Future: studying languages, knitting, sewing, theater, singing for real, computer programming, web design, playing musical instruments
Basketball Stadiums Visited
Football Stadiums Visited
Baseball Stadiums Visited
I'm always curious about what other people use to get around, take photos, that kind of thing. Please note that these links are Amazon referral links. They are what I actually use or have used in the past (I'll let you know when things get updated).
Cameras & Accessories
I have several cameras and would have even more if I could get away with it. Here's what I currently use - you can find pictures taken with all of these somewhere on the blog:
- Canon Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) - Bought in 2006 - It's old but it still works pretty well (all the particularly nice photos you see are taken with this guy). I use the kit 18-55mm lens as well as the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens.
- Casio High Speed Exilim Ex-ZR400 Digital Camera Silver EX-ZR400SR - Bought in 2014 - This is the point and shoot I (technically) bought for Eric for his birthday :); he had an older version of this camera that he really liked that got eaten in some sand in Michigan. It takes nice photos for sure but can be a little bit slow to focus at times. It's very light and easy to carry around!
- GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition - Bought in 2014 - Bought this before the Hero4 came out on a great deal and it takes really nice photos and video. I like all the various accessories (that was the main decider between this and a normal just waterproof camera, although this one can't zoom; still great since it's tiny and virtually indestructible): a pole is great to have since I'm so short (SP Gadgets POV Pole GoPro-Edition (36 inch, Black)), something to make it float since we use it in the water quite a bit (Waterproof Camera Float (2-pack) Floating Camera Strap), fog inserts for said water but I don't always use them (GoPro Anti-Fog Inserts), and extra batteries are a must since they only last ~2 hours (Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and New Charger).
- Other accessories: I clean with Giottos Rocket Air Blaster and LensPen NLP-1 and store things on memory cards like SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS Memory Card.
- My stomach and cars don't get along (unless I'm the one driving). In 2015 I discovered chewable Nauzene tablets for upset stomachs and I will never go on another road trip or to an amusement park without them.
About Me Reviewed by Maria on 7:21:00 PM Rating: